Friday, November 23, 2012

Getting Started...

Yesterday I met with diabetes educator at the hospital and she gave me some helpful suggestions about my diet (apparently I don't eat enough carbs or protein). I also got a new glucose monitor. Then I went to the drug store to pick up the rest of my supplies.

Apparently I have to get a doctor's note in order to have coverage for glucose strips (like I'd just test my blood for fun??). So I guess I'll be asking for a note when I meet with the endocrinologist next week. In the meantime I had to fork out almost $100 bucks just for strips- yikes!

I was actually a little excited about my glucose monitor, it's much sleeker than my old one and the lancets are more delicate so less painful on the fingers.




I'm supposed to test 6 times a day- before and after each meal. I also have to test my urine for ketones first thing every morning. I need 40-50 grams of carbs at each meal and 15 grams for snack.

For dinner I wanted to see how many carbs I could handle. I had a chicken burger on a Thintini bun (33 grams of carbs) with yam fries and mixed veggies.



 I may have overdone it on the yam fries because my blood sugar after an hour was 9.2! It should be under 7.8. So I worked out on the elliptical for 10 minutes and tested again. It was down to 6.2. Much better. So I know exercise will really help bring it down if needed.

Today has gone pretty well, but my numbers have actually been too low. We'll see how dinner goes tonight. I'm making minestrone soup and cheese biscuits.

Update: Cheese biscuits were maybe not a good idea! Blood sugar was 8.8 after dinner. Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment