Sunday, November 25, 2012

A Balancing Act

Saturday mornings I usually stuff my face with pancakes, so it was tough to limit myself to just two but I managed. I'm going to pick up some almond meal and make low-carb pancakes next week so I can eat more of them. This time I really savoured the pancakes I had instead of just scorfing them down without thinking, which is actually a good thing to learn how to do. Then I ate another one for my mid-morning snack. They were whole wheat buttermilk pancakes with ground flax, mashed bananas and blueberries. I used E.D. Smith's No Sugar Added syrup, sweetened with sucralose. It's not the same as maple syrup but it wasn't bad. It made a perfect Saturday morning treat. I also had coffee with non-sweetened vanilla almond milk.


My after-breakfast sugar level was just right at 6.5. Not too high and not too low either

The rest of the day continued with good levels, even after I went out for dinner. I went to a Japanese restaurant with some grilfriends and I ordered edamame beans, tofu salad and sampled a couple sushi rolls. My after-dinner level was 6.7. Perfect! Unfortunately I had medium levels of ketones this morning, which means I probably didn't eat enough carbs. My pre-meal levels were quite low so I'm thinking I can add more carbs at snack-time and maybe fit in a couple snacks after dinner so I can get enough carbs.

This morning I tried oatmeal. It was the Quaker Light Sweetened Apple Cinnamon instant oatmeal. The package says only 21g of carbs. I added chia seeds, natural peanut butter and milk, and I drank coffee with milk. I'm hoping that was at least close to 40 g? My after-breakfast level was 7.2. Not too far under the max of 7.8. I was just sitting on my butt at the computer for an hour after breakfast instead of doing any exercise, so I'm sure if I had actually moved around like on weekday mornings it would have been lower and I could probably have handled more carbs.


So it's definitely a balancing act that requires some trial and error. I think I'll get the hang of it though! I have done it before so I'm confident I can do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment